Saturday, January 15, 2011

Shopping For Shoes With Joe The Plumber

It's been fairly dry recently, which just means it's time to return to fixing the fixed front porch yet again.

The last event in this saga was that the caulking (without silicone) dissolved away in the rain. Today we placed caulking with silicone into the gaps on the front porch (hopefully sturdier).

Returning from Home Depot, Joe the Plumber said: "Let's go to the Birkenstock shoe store! The owner has a voice like that of an angel!" I replied: "Like, um sure, why not, whatever." So off we went to the shoe store on J Street near 26th to listen to an angel.

Entering the store, I was shocked. It was Megan O'Laughlin! She was clerking the store on a very busy Saturday morning. I haven't seen her consistently at DMTC since, oh, 2005, or so.

These days she sells shoes. I bought some shoes. She said her parents are well. There was some unfinished theater business with her dad. He donated $50.00 to the theater in 2003, or so, with the explicit instruction that, since he couldn't afford a Name-A-Seat, perhaps the theater could put a commemorative plaque on a toilet paper roll holder in one of the bathrooms. We accepted the money, but distracted by day-to-day business, never came through with the plaque. I hope our dereliction doesn't keep him up late pacing the floors (it might keep me up late pacing the floors).

The shop owner indeed had an angelic voice, but she scarcely spoke, since Megan and I had much catching up to do and the shop was very busy and required her attention.

Afterwards, Joe the Plumber took me to his storage unit under Highway 50, near 15th Street. He had some fuzzy boots squirreled away in storage that he didn't like, and wondered if I might be interested. To my surprise, they fit. Despite growing up in the American Southwest, I've never owned any boots in my life. Now, in addition to a new pair of shoes, I now have a pair of slightly-used fuzzy Joe the Plumber boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment