Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Volatile Templates

Yesterday, I had an E-Mail discussion with someone from the Sacramento Bee who is unhappy with my tendency to quote what she considered overlong sections from the writings of other people on my blog. I do tend to get ramblesome sometimes, but long or short, I always make sure proper citations are made. Shorter tends to be better for the readers, but not always.

What worried me more, however, is that Blogger's usual BLOCKQUOTE method of distinguishing quoted work is sometimes not adequate to make quoted work distinct from the regular text. That causes confusion.

So yesterday, I went shopping for better templates, and experimenting with the one I have. I haven't found a template I like better yet, though. And the one I have seems pretty volatile.

Over the last year, I've been having trouble making sure the sidebar always appear besides the main text. Sometimes, for puzzling reasons, the sidebar shifts to the end of the main text. Sometimes the shift appears associated with certain overwide videos, but sometimes not.

Yesterday, I found I could make the sidebar shift up or down, just by taking the posted story on "Twins", and making the quoted text appear either in italics, or not. That's a very volatile template there! I don't understand it, but it makes me loathe to experiment more. Maybe it's better to start the blog over again....

No comments:

Post a Comment