Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Trolls At The Polling Places

I caught the teevee news last night, and this story was receiving prominent play:










Linda Bozzo lives in San Francisco's Portola district with her 19-year-old daughter. So when an iPhone app promised to show the locations of sex offenders in her neighborhood, she tried it out. "I came across all these names," Bozzo said.

One, with a familiar-sounding address. "I was like, wait a minute I know that address," she said.

When her voting pamphlet arrived in the mail a few weeks later, Bozzo realized why. Turns out, her neighborhood polling place is the home of a sex offender. His name and address are listed on the Megan's Law website.
Listening to this news piece, I couldn't help but think this was a voter suppression effort designed to make people fear their polling place. But suppress whom, exactly? Women, maybe? Young people? Maybe it wasn't any of that, but just local TV News ("if it bleeds, it leads") doing its local, lurid thing. But it worried me, nonetheless....

No comments:

Post a Comment