Thursday, January 14, 2010

RIP, Bill O'Brien

Left: Bill was in love with the ultra-cool, sophisticated look of Modern Dance, but for variety, sometimes he would consent to watch the more-traditional look on display in Classical Ballet. When all else failed, just in order to get out of the house, maybe to see friends and associates perform, and to eat a cookie, he would consent to see a Musical. (Truth is, he loved them all!)

Here he is on his last visit to DMTC, in order to see "Mame", on January 28, 2007.



Just got a call from Marcia Raphael: Dr. G. W. (Bill) O'Brien passed away on Tuesday, January 12, 2010.

Bill was a graduate of Carnegie-Mellon in Pittsburgh, PA (I believe), had an active medical practice in Sacramento for many years (I believe he was a psychologist) and (if I'm not mistaken) also practiced at the California Medical Facility near Vacaville.

Bill was nearly 90 years old, and bedridden for much of the last decade of his life, but judging from the number of books he read, his mind was active and engaged right to the end (I visited him about two months ago).

Bill seemed to be a confirmed skeptic. I asked him once if the approach of death made him more spiritual. He answered flatly: "No!"

Bill was an active balletomane. I met him in dance classes at Bobbi Bader's "The Ballet Studio" in Rancho Cordova, where we religiously took barre together, until strokes began to claim his ability to walk in the early 90's.

Bill particularly loved modern dance and sought it out wherever he went. He was especially fond of Mark Morris, and even claimed a sort-of career paternity: "I discovered him," he told me once (but I'm not sure what that meant).

An intelligent inspiration to us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment