Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Out Of Hospital, Dad Slowly Improves

When I first saw dad on Saturday morning, he looked very, very tired (you don't get much sleep in the hospital, ever), but after several good nights of sleep, he looks a little better. He is now resuming his normal schedule, which is highly-regimented and programmed by the ever-expanding list of medications he is taking around the clock.

As luck has it, the tumors have first hit areas and organs that do not yield pain, so he as comfortable as anyone with stomach cancer, COPD, and emphysema can be - for now. That will change, however, and likely soon. Right now, I'm providing important support, allowing 24/7 attendance for now, while my sisters cobble together a way to provide attendance 24/7 when I leave. I'm sure they don't want me to return to Sacramento, but I've got responsibilities there too, and plan to return in a week-and-a-half. I just hope we can get close to 24/7 by then. If it's troublesome, I anticipate lots of airline trips to ABQ in the near-future.

Hector, the robust fellow who mows the lawn, came over today. He was happy to see my father, and when informed of the cancer, blew all that aside in favor of the power of faith and prayer. Nice guy: I like his confidence!

No comments:

Post a Comment