Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Kothbiro

Yesterday, I wrote Deborah in Phoenix:
Looking at the satellite pictures, I suspect the monsoon essentially starts today. Likely no rain for PHX, but the annual season for the SW starts - now!
She wrote back:
I believe it--it is HUMID! Whew -- monster thunderheads on horizon we try to lure with songs like this: KOTHBIRO [Rain is Coming]
Here is an added feature - a dance to KOTHBIRO. Choreography by Sue Manville, whom is based in MD, I believe (there is a Manville clan based at Tempe Dance Academy - an even more apropos desert location for a rain dance - but as far as I can tell from limited Googling, these Manvilles aren't related).



And yet another YouTube video of Kothbiro, with African images, and a translation:

Dear children,
the rain is coming,
bring the cows in the cattle,
bring in our wealth

No comments:

Post a Comment