Monday, February 09, 2009

Signs Of The Apocalypse In Davis

I hit every traffic light heading into downtown Davis. My luck had run low on a Sunday evening....

As I walked into one of my favorite Davis eateries, everyone seated inside turned in unison towards the door to watch me enter. "We are having a meeting," the woman behind the counter snapped. "Oh, sorry," I apologized as I beat a hasty retreat. Just a little tense in there! I headed down the street towards another eatery.

Walking into the second eatery, I overheard a cook at the doorway shout into a cell phone something like "A quien saber un abogado?" (which I may misremember since it's not quite grammatically correct), but which roughly translates as "Who knows a lawyer?" Later, I saw the cook behind the counter, looking unhappy.

Dark times in Davis eateries....

Leaving the eatery, a man approached from behind and said "Hey man, check it out! My friends and I want to buy a bottle of vodka!" I ignored this entreaty to charity - I mean, do I get any, or am I just buying? - and crossed the street.

On the other side of the street a street preacher was lecturing about the Last Days. A street preacher. In Davis! Ah, evil days have befallen us! I hope we don't go back to the late 70's and early 80's, when street preachers were everywhere. I had hoped we moved on from all that, but with all our economic troubles and accumulated sins it looks like it's finally time to reap the whirlwind....

No comments:

Post a Comment