Sunday, January 11, 2009

Lawn Anemia

As the tiny hummingbird perched in the tree above my head, and sang its tiny alien song of love and loss, I carefully poured an evil-black liquid into a large bucket and diluted it with water. Just as I picked it up to pour into the decorative planter, the spooky next-door-neighbor lady materialized behind my shoulder and whispered in her alien tobacco rasp: "What are you doing? What is that stuff?"

Startled, I put the bucket down and explained: "This is an iron supplement. The plants to the right of the front door seem to have yellowed and look like they are suffering. I suspect chlorosis. The iron supplement should help. On the other hand, the plants to the left look fine."

She nodded with her lips pursed thoughtfully and said "I noticed the plants to the right seemed to be having some trouble."

I offered her some evil-black liquid, but I think she is going to wait a few weeks first to see if I inadvertently annihilated half my household foliage....

No comments:

Post a Comment