Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Seizure

My dog Sparky's health has been deteriorating for several years from heart disease, despite a heavy investment in drugs. Age (I've had him 14.5 years, and he may be 15.5 years old), and perhaps the usual suspects - a sedentary lifestyle, a fatty diet, and perhaps a genetic predisposition - are to blame.

Last night, Sparky skipped dinner, and he seemed rather listless. On his customary nighttime walk, Sparky walked unusually sluggishly, so we circled only one city block, rather than the five or six as we do in more-normal times.

The last part of the walk is running up the back porch steps. Sparky has been having trouble with these steps lately, and so, as often as not, I carry him up the back porch steps.

Nevertheless, last night, he summoned his reserves of energy, and ran up the steps. He was barely able to do it, and he struggled mightily to make the last step. He did it, though, and I was proud of his grit and determination.

Entering the house (2:50 a.m.), I saw all four of Sparky's legs abruptly start shaking. He toppled over and collapsed in front of the kitchen stove. He let out a plaintive howl and lay motionless, except for labored breathing. I placed my hand to his chest, and I could feel his heart racing.

So, this is the end! A heart attack! I decided that, in the morning, I would take him to the vet and have him put under. He lived a good dog life, but if he can't even walk, his quality of life is over. I carried him into my bedroom, prepared a final bed, and tried to go to sleep. I hardly slept at all (probably fell asleep at 5 a.m.)

At dawn, Sparky started stirring. A bathroom break? I took him downstairs and left him in his bed there. During the morning, I could hear him at his frequent pasttime, barking at phantoms outside the yard.

Leaving home late this morning, I left food with Sparky, which he promptly began eating. He was walking about, however listlessly.

So, not yet........

No comments:

Post a Comment