Monday, October 27, 2008

Hangover Sunday

Left and below: The Tabu Ultra Lounge in MGM Grand.


Not feeling well - something like a permanent hangover. But what was the cause? Let's see: I had a glass of wine on Thursday, I traveled and stayed up late on Friday, I partied with the kids on Saturday; so does that mean I should have a hangover on Sunday?

Later on Sunday, I finally realized what the problem was. I was suffering caffeine withdrawal. Because of the trip, I had skipped several meals. In addition, twenty years ago, soda machines were everywhere in Vegas, but these days they are scarce (perhaps because they are expensive to maintain and more money can be made from soda fountains. Deprived of my usual huge fluid and caffeine diet soda intake, I was both dehydrated and craving my addiction: hence the hangover.

I rested a lot Sunday evening, watching PBS' excellent "Frontline" special regarding Obama and McCain, and finally went out at midnight. I was surprised to see that both LAX at the Luxor and Studio 54 at the MGM Grand were closed on Sunday night/Monday morning.

Nevertheless, Tabu was open, so I went there.

I danced away, and eventually others joined in. It was an ultra lounge, and I tried being ultra cool, but the ultra devotees weren't fooled. Apparently also suffering from cooties, I mostly danced by myself, sometimes on the table tops, sometimes not, for several hours.

Pleasant fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment