Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Wild Child Decides To Stay Awhile

For Lindsay, this is the place:
The party's over for Lindsay Lohan: After a recent stint in rehab, she's trading in her wild-child Hollywood pad for a new home in sober Utah.

"I'm staying in Utah until it's time to shoot 'Dare to Love Me,'" Lohan said in an interview with OK! magazine, "and then I plan on returning to Utah so I can stay focused and avoid other distractions."

The 21-year-old actress reportedly checked out of the Cirque Lodge, a drug and alcohol treatment center in Sundance, Friday. She entered treatment in August after reaching a plea deal on misdemeanor drunken driving and cocaine charges following two arrests.

"It was a sobering experience," Lohan said. "It was humbling. It made me look at myself and all of the people, places and things in my life in a different way. I was in there for substance abuse, after all."

If it's quiet Lohan seeks, Utah Valley, home of Brigham Young University, voted "stone-cold sober" 10 consecutive years by the Princeton Review, may be a good place to look.

"I've always thought there was something special about Sundance," said Linda Kader, of Provo, as she riffled through racks of clothes at University Mall where Lindsay was reportedly spotted shopping recently. "Maybe the spirit of the place inspires her. Your surroundings can have a big impact on your actions."

Making the switch from late-night parties and big-city crowds to "Mormon-town" may be a culture shock for the Hollywood "it-girl," though, said Drew Olson, a 17-year-old Provo resident, when he heard Lohan planned to purchase a house nearby.
"It's a lot quieter here than in L.A.," Olson said. "This place closes down at 10. I hope she doesn't get bored."

A slower-paced lifestyle is an important part of Lohan's post-rehab plans, though. Staying sober is a priority, she said, even if it means bidding farewell to hard-partying Hollywood friends who encouraged her substance abuse.

...Lohan's new residence of choice is touted for larger-than-average, close-knit families and conservative values but, Utah Valley residents warned, the place isn't a guaranteed road to recovery.

"She's thinking: 'I'll move to Utah, they don't have drugs there,'" said Parker Heiner, 22, who lives in Provo to attend BYU. "Wrong."

When asked whether she's worried about a relapse, Lohan said: "Of course I am! If I wasn't I'd be living in denial. Temptation is always there but now I'll avoid it the right way."

No comments:

Post a Comment