Thursday, September 27, 2007

Elizabeth Edwards Graces Sacramento Fundraiser

Left: Elizabeth Edwards.

I didn't know what to expect when I showed up at the John Edwards fundraiser shortly after noon. The telephone solicitation on my answering machine had been somewhat garbled, and so I thought maybe the event might not even occur at all. I figured that since I had already donated to the Edwards campaign, and had done so in 2004 as well, that I would be asked to do so again, in a casual atmosphere - just folks, really. I did not expect heavyhitters, or stars.

Surprise!





Left: Wine bar at 1801 L St., Suite 50.

This is the first time I've entered this establishment, just two blocks from where I work. Very nice new urban infill development by developer Sotiris Kolokotronis, who is also building the condos across L Street (which I understand may be priced $400K, and up).






Left: The crowd. Developer Sotiris Kolokotronis gathers attention in the center, as Board of Equalization member Betty Yee (right) works the crowd.

I sat down at a random table with my grits, salad, and tasty chicken and talked with the folks at my table. No matter how old you get, these formal/informal social encounters always seem a bit awkward and stilted, because no one knows who you are, or vice versa. Everybody looks longingly at the doors and the crowd, wondering when something will happen, or for some way to break the ice. So, time for light-hearted conversation! It turned out that one man at my table was a client of the company for whom I work, so it was nice attaching a name and face to someone who ultimately contributes to my paycheck.

The digs at 1801 L St. One of the other men at my table, on the staff of State Treasurer Bill Lockyer, lives nearby and has a friend who lives here. It was his understanding that a two bedroom place in this complex goes for $1,900/month. Pricey, but midtown/downtown places are highly desirable for the social atmosphere. Makes me want to pull up stakes and settle here! If I could swing the money!





Left: Assemblyman Dave Jones helps introduce Elizabeth Edwards.

















Left: Well-loved local radio host Christine Kraft, at far left, poses a question to Elizabeth Edwards, at far right.

Christine Kraft is currently not on-the-air in Sacramento (!), so any love and support we toss her way to help her pull down a radio gig will be more than welcome!






Left: Elizabeth Edwards listens to a question.

The most pointed question of the afternoon regarded efforts, particularly by Republicans, to question John Edwards' fidelity to issues of common workers and the poor, since he himself is wealthy, and has just purchased a 20,000 square foot home. How do Democrats respond to these imputations of bad faith (as well as the 'haircut thing', which keeps coming up as well).

Elizabeth Edwards stated that the 20,000 figure is a canard: the home is 8,900 square feet in size. A large house, to be sure, but certainly a lot smaller than the homes owned by FDR or the Kennedy family, who have worked effectively for the poor in the past.

Elizabeth Edwards referred to a New Republic article that referred to John Edwards as the 'Accidental Populist,' as if his devotion to such issues was inexplicable. Instead, Elizabeth Edwards stated that John Edwards was the 'Inevitable Populist,' given his family's rocky fortunes working in and about North Carolina's textile mills (his father was compelled by his employer to train his lower-wage replacement, for example).

Left: Responding to a question.

The crowd found Elizabeth Edwards warm and funny!










Left: Elizabeth Edwards with Conway Collis (a former member of the State Board of Equalization), with Dave Jones in the background.

(Related link posted at johnedwards.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment