Sunday, August 05, 2007

Takes A Licking, But Is He Still Ticking?

Driving home Saturday morning at 1:15 a.m., southbound, I approached the intersection of S and 19th Streets. Two white sedans were parked nearby, one on 19th Street at the SW corner of the intersection. There were two young men present at the corner and appearing to be coming from the parked sedan on 19th, perhaps Hispanic, dressed mostly in white: a tall, robust fellow with silver medallions on his belt, and a shorter, non-descript fellow.

Pow! Robust fellow swung at short fellow's face with a closed fist. Short fellow reeled backwards. Robust fellow swung again, and connected again. Short fellow fell.

I instantly decided I wasn't going to stop and get involved with two young men fighting over who knew what. But I was worried about the mismatch: short man looked like he wasn't fighting back effectively. As I passed, I slowed down to look. Robust fellow was straddling supine shorter man's body, choking him around the throat....

It took me ten full minutes to get home and call 911: a southbound train passing by on the track parallel to 19th Street slowed my travel (another example, I suppose, of why I should have a cell phone). No doubt police response was quite tardy as a result. I wonder what became of both fellows?

No comments:

Post a Comment