Saturday, June 16, 2007

History - What Does It Mean, Exactly?

Left: (picture swiped from Andrew Woods blog)


I was startled by this news from Albuquerque:
As negotiations over the fate of the historic El Vado Motel inch toward compromise, a national preservation group is trying to help keep the old motor lodge around for generations to come.

At a news conference Friday in front of the motel - on west Central Avenue near the Albuquerque Biological Park - the National Trust for Historic Preservation announced that El Vado had been placed on a list of "America's 11 Most Endangered Historic Places."
The place isn't Gettysburg - would people really miss it THAT much if it disappeared? I mean, I barely remember the place, and I never slept there (and I don't think George Washington did either).

But we blithely pave over our past with heedless disregard, something we should be careful about doing, so the best to the preservationists and their efforts....

No comments:

Post a Comment