Monday, January 22, 2007

Protest

Driving back to the office after Friday afternoon's haircut, I had the radio on AM-1320, where they were announcing one of the semi-periodic Iraq War protests in Sacramento, which sometimes occur at 16th & J and sometimes at 16th & Broadway. Friday's protest was going to be at 16th & Broadway and would feature Vacaville's own Cindy Sheehan. I had missed seeing Sheehan during her last protest visit to Sacramento, so I resolved to go down and check it out.

I arrived five minutes before the end of the protest, at 6 p.m. Sheehan had already left for an after-protest get-together, and so I spent five minutes listening to the bongo drum, waving at passing cars, and talking with the Code Pink women. At one point, a police cruiser crawled by, and a knowing, cynical chuckle passed through the protestors. People passing by honked their horns and displayed lots of support.

I should spend more time with these folks....

No comments:

Post a Comment