Monday, October 23, 2006

Rappelling Spider

In Sunday ballet class, we solemnly studied the cockroach as it lay on its back waving its legs in the air. "I hope I don't step on it," Jennifer said. "That would be really awful!"

"Ah, that's nothing," I said. "On Saturday, as I stood on a tall ladder clipping hedges, I inadvertently flung a big, web-covered spider into the bridge of my glasses. The spider then fell towards the ground. The webbing stuck to my glasses, though, and I got an all-too-vivid view as the spider rappelled back up towards my face!"

But not all are repelled by vermin. Last night, while Sparky walked behind me, I heard lots of squeaking, also behind me. Sparky had found some sort of debilitated mouse on the sidewalk, and sensibly enough, tried to carry it home in his mouth....

No comments:

Post a Comment