Saturday, June 10, 2006

"Godspell" - Garbeau's Dinner Theater

(Left) "Alas For You" - Jesus (Kevin Caravalho)


Fine show, with a strong ensemble, featuring many acquaintances and friends. The small space, and the informal set, lent an air of intimacy often missing in bigger spaces.

I remember obsessively seeing the movie "Godspell" in high school - Anderson, Baltz and myself must have seen it fifteen or twenty times in two years. The tempo of the movie music is emblazoned on my brain, and so Roger Clark's slower pace seemed to throw me a little bit. Nevertheless, fine music (Mark Ferreira, Greg Mullen, Bruce Weisz, and Roger Clark).

I hadn't seen Wendy Modlin before - I liked her energetic rendition of 'O Bless The Lord, My Soul.'

Was that Lee Hudson who went through the hoop? If so, he's got more talents than I had thought.

I had never seen, or even known the existence of, 'Tower of Babble,' which leads off the show. Nice to see it performed!

Amber Jean Moore does a fine Valley Girl imitation at one point (nothing better than the California accent, suitably exaggerated!) It is good to see her onstage again (has it really been since RSP's 'A Chorus Line'?)

Both Troy Thomas (John the Baptist) and Kevin Caravalho (Jesus) have wonderful voices. Patricia Glass was fine in 'By My Side.'



'Turn Back, O Man' - Deborah Douglas

"Godspell" Set

No comments:

Post a Comment