Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Alternative Futures

Gabe warns me that religious tradionalists are outbreeding secular humanists, like myself, and soon we'll be outvoted:
Tomorrow's children, therefore, unlike members of the postwar baby boom generation, will be for the most part descendants of a comparatively narrow and culturally conservative segment of society. To be sure, some members of the rising generation may reject their parents' values, as often happens. But when they look for fellow secularists with whom to make common cause, they will find that most of their would-be fellow travelers were quite literally never born.
I don't take the bait so easily: "Oh, it's already happened - that's old news! I routinely get outvoted on almost everything. C'est la vie!"

Gabe then tries a different approach: "But that memorial to George McGovern would have been a great addition to the town square, really!"

Only then did I become wistful: "I always wanted to make John Lennon's 'Imagine' the national anthem." Just another great, secular-humanist kind of idea that'll never happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment