Saturday, October 15, 2005

KVIE Phone-Banking

DMTC volunteered to do phone-banking work this morning at KVIE TV-6, the local PBS affiliate. The arrangement was a bit hasty, at least for me. First, there was Ryan's original announcement:
I would like as many Board members to help out with this upcoming KVIE phone banking as possible.
to:
I had to cancel phone banking due to lack of volunteers, but thanks to those who signed up....
to:
KVIE finally got back to me, and without mincing words let me know that we must supply volunteers tomorrow morning....
I wonder if KVIE threatened to force the DMTC Board to watch commercial television unless we showed up......

In any event, we all showed up and 'brought in' $26,000.00 during our shift. I was surprised at how enthusiastic people were to buy Wayne Dyer's 'The Power of Intention.' (I had never heard of the fellow until today.) Also, there was a Mariachi show on the other PBS channel, and so the phone lines were hot with people ordering a variety of merchandise.

A few transactions didn't go through, though. One woman had to cancel her order because we couldn't accomodate monthly money orders (she had lost her checking account privileges and was facing eviction.)

(Sometimes it's better, I think, given the real burdens people are faced with on a daily basis, if certain transactions don't go through.)

No comments:

Post a Comment