Monday, February 21, 2005

"Annie" Tech Week

We're sailing into Tech Week for "Annie" at DMTC. Things are basically under control, but since we have a scheduling conflict at the Varsity Theater for Thursday night, we don't get the benefit of a final, dress rehearsal. So, we've got to get it as right as we can for Tuesday and Wednesday night.

Tonight, Mike Jones tried on his Daddy Warbucks skull cap, to simulate baldness. Worked pretty well, but it peeled a bit after awhile, and his dome began to remind me of a shar pei puppy. I'm sure he'll get that nailed (or at least glued) down. If not, maybe he'll reconsider that Mohawk look he joked about last night.

Blundering a bit with the FDR wheelchair. Got hung up in the Christmas Tree tonight. Last night, collided with Daddy Warbuck's desk. For some reason (like slipping on a banana peel), it's funny (how easily the mighty fall!)

I'm trying to remain in character, even in blackouts, and not jump out of the wheelchair and run off in the dark, because the audience can see somewhat, even in blackouts. It's hard because Jan Isaacson insists they need help stage right, but I am determined not to break the character of FDR.

According to the script, towards the end of the Cabinet scene in Act II, Annie is supposed to quickly kiss my (FDR's) cheek before making her exit. In rehearsal, upon hearing there was a kiss, I quipped, "What, on the lips?" There was a moment of awkward tension: people laughed too hard. Meanwhile, Annie (Kaylynn Rothleder) looked aghast, like she had just swallowed 55 snails. Kaylynn was sick all last week, so now, when it's time for the sentimental buss, it's me who's aghast. Since we are both approaching each other like a form of toxic waste, the moment is likely to remain awkward, but fortunately it's not crucial how the moment is handled - a quick hug works fine.

Kaylynn sure sings great for someone who still is coughing. I wish I could sing healthy as well as she sings sick. The girls are doing great - it's a very strong corps of orphan girls. Chloe especially is doing great.

My inclination to forget names is scaring me, especially in "New Deal for Christmas," when I recite a list of Cabinet member names to music. My weakness, which really became a problem about ten years ago, might bite me at any time. Last night, for example, I got the City Tech's name wrong (James Henderson - I called him by his father's name, Mark), an error for which there is no excuse, since all three of us did "Guys and Dolls" together at the Woodland Opera House in 2001.

Well, we'll see what tomorrow brings. After all, it's only a day away!

No comments:

Post a Comment