Friday, November 12, 2004

Discretion, Personal Diplomacy, and Monty Python's Holy Grail

Thinking about Monty Python brought to mind my distinguished grandfather, Francis Drake Buzzell. In a commendable effort at personal diplomacy, around 1900, he and his Philippine Insurrection army buddies apparently tried to make a courtesy call on the Japanese Imperial Palace. His own description, written in 1953, is best:


Francis Drake Buzzell (center). Photo forwarded by Janice Becker.
Tried to make a call on the Mikado, but run into some bayonets instead and beat a retreat in which I outran my companion though his legs were longer than mine. It was 35 miles back to Yokohama & the boat and I led all the way. The boat sailed almost immediately, and I was glad to see a lot of water between it & the land.

When danger reared its ugly head......

No comments:

Post a Comment