Monday, September 20, 2004

"Best of Broadway" and Other Theatrical Goings-On

On Saturday, the DMTC bunch went and saw David L. MacDonald's "Best of Broadway" at Luther Burbank High School on Florin Road. It was an excellent revue (the first time I've ever seen BOB, despite its standing as a Sacramento theatrical tradition), but I was most excited to see Aaron Clemens (with whom I had performed in Woodland Opera House's 'Guys and Dolls' and 'Forum') as the Gospel Chorus Leader, particularly with his solo 'I Gotta Keep Movin'.' Aaron is really coming into his own, as choral director (I missed seeing him after the show, though). And his partner and former DMTC player, Tom Norris, was also featured in several numbers.

I was amazed by the skilled, tall women specialty ensemble dancers in "Best of Broadway." The choreographers Diana Ruslin and Terri Taylor-Solorio have really done a fabulous job. Indeed, there is almost a tradition of tall dancers there: Jillian Owens came to DMTC (in part) from there (before she left for Broadway), and we saw her mother, and still a BOB Board Member, Julie Owens, in the lobby. But the most impressive dancer was quite short and slight: Bailey Buntain, in her solo in 'A New Life, from 'Jekyll and Hyde.' Erin Jones (junior, as we say at DMTC) and Enrique Ruiz were also part of this year's cast.

In other developments, in the theater of my sleeping head, I dreamt I saw Michael Miiller enter a fireplace, turn right, and walk down a railway in the fireplace, only to flee just seconds later when a locomotive came down the tracks. Steve Isaacson insists the dream has gay overtones, but I think I was impressed by the fairly-new presence of light-rail near Burbank High School.

I doubt I'll do 'Anything Goes' at DMTC this autumn. Following a phone contact yesterday by Dennis Yep, this evening I'm going to try out for a part as a clueless German anthropologist in an INTERACT Theater Hawaiian mystery, 'The Bones Live,' which opens next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment