Monday, July 21, 2003

Death of the Beast

Farewell to Highway 666! It had an interesting genesis and life!

My friend Jerry Steffens from Santa Clara, CA wrote the following (referring first to the first link in this post):

Hmmm, I wouldn't mind having one of those signs myself....

Lately, I've become interested in the U. S. highway system; one reason, no doubt, is that it is slowly disappearing -- highways that I remember from my youth are gone! For example, a few years ago, I went home (Indiana) for a visit and discovered that U.S. 33 no longer went through Mishawaka -- instead, I saw a sign that claimed that the road was Indiana 933. Why? What is the purpose? (I've discovered that these decisions are made by a shadowy government agency called the American Association of State Highway Transportation Officers.

My interest in highways was re-kindled recently on my way back from Indiana (I drove!). I stopped at a strange new museum along I-80 near Kearney, Nebraska called the Archway Monument -- it's an arch built OVER the freeway. Basically, it's dedicated to transportation in the region - Oregon Trail, Mormon Trail, Pony Express, etc.) Mostly, it's pretty hokey -- sixth grade history combined with sound and lighting effects -- but they did have one interesting exhibit about the Lincoln Highway, which apparently was the first transcontinental automobile road in the U. S. One section of the road ran along U. S. 33 through Mishawaka -- I grew up about a block away from it (we called it "Lincolnway"). I had heard of the Lincoln Highway, but I wasn't aware of its extent or significance. What a wild trip that must have been! (The section from Salt Lake City to Ely sounds particularly significant -- it was never paved and never became part of the U. S. highway system (or even the state road systems, for that matter!)

No comments:

Post a Comment