Monday, February 26, 2024

Return From New Mexico - Overview

Flew to New Mexico via Long Beach on Tuesday, February 20th. I didn't really take that many filming location photos.  Instead, I visited family and various colleagues.


Arrived in Albuquerque. Budget rent-a-car ran out of econo subcompacts, so they saddled me with a gargantuan Dodge RAM 4x4 pickup that loomed over almost everything on the road.
 

Returned to Days Inn on Central Avenue across from the Grove Restaurant. Management has been trying to spruce up the place with things like new beds. The managing lady is from Las Vegas, NM, and strove to create a family atmosphere at the motel. 



 First night, I ate at the Noodle Bar in downtown Albuquerque on Central Ave. 

On Wednesday morning, I made an initial visit to the Albuquerque Public Library in downtown Albuquerque. Then I ate breakfast at Loyola's Restaurant on Central Ave. just east of Nob Hill. 

Went to the Marriott Hotel on Louisiana Blvd. for the 45th Annual Southwest popular/American Cultural Association (SWPACA) meeting. Very much enjoyed the first session, about Taylor Swift. The second session was about Motherhood, and I had trouble following it because I hadn't read the books (e.g., Toni Morrison's "Beloved").

The Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul session was very lightly attended. Still the reaction to my talk was very favorable. Including myself, there were three speakers in the session. In a way, there was a broad unity in our talks - all involved religion in one way or another. We talked about working on a book together, and maybe that will happen.
 








Afterwards, I visited a few filming locations, then stopped by the University of New Mexico for a nostalgic walk. Then I ate at that favorite university-area diner, the Frontier Restaurant, before returning to the motel for sleep. 

On Thursday, I ate breakfast at The Grove Restaurant. I returned to the Albuquerque Public Library in downtown Albuquerque to research the active Chevron gas stations in central New Mexico in 1976, to help me find the gas-station filming location in the 1976 movie with David Bowie, "The Man Who Fell To Earth." I'm looking at those filming locations partly to assist an academic named Kris Jones in N.C. when he visits Albuquerque later this year. I also visited the First National Bank Plaza (Mr. Farnsworth's Office filming location) and lurked outside the significant Sunshine Theater and its filming location. 

In the afternoon, I visited my sister Marra and toured her back yard. In the evening, I ate lunch with new friends, a theater couple - Xandra and Peter - at Vintage 423. 

On Friday, I returned to lurking outside the Sunshine Theater and established the procedure for visiting the Sunshine Theater. I ate lunch with my sisters at Tomasita's Restaurant. In the afternoon I visited the Special Collections Library at Edith and Central Ave. to hunt for more gas stations. I visited several filming locations in the afternoon, then ate dinner with my cousin, Anthony Valdez, at Cheddars Restaurant, just a few doors down from Tomasita's. 

In the evening, on the phone, I called my friends the Schindwolfs and talked with my cousin Cynthia Valdez. 

On Saturday morning, I went to my sister Marra's house to eat breakfast with my sisters and my brother-in-law. I briefly visited my friend Bruce Warren, then headed to the airport, stopping by Budget rent-a-car to return the gargantuan Dodge RAM 4x4.

No comments:

Post a Comment