Monday, May 22, 2023

"Love and Rockets" - Fox Theater, Oakland, CA - May 21, 2023

Gabe surprised me with an offer to attend the "Love and Rockets" concert in Oakland. I was flattered and pleased, but these offers usually come because Eleanor finds she doesn't want to, or can't go, to various events. Recently, Gabe and I went to the Sacramento Philharmonic, and the Lara Downes concert at the Mondavi Center, in Davis. Eleanor E-Mailed the tickets to me, and I put them on my phone.  Apart from the song "So Alive," which is on the Classic Rock setlist, I knew nothing about the band.  80s nostalgia show, perhaps?  So, I looked forward to Gabe coming over about 6 p.m. on Sunday evening, picking me up, and driving off to Oakland.

At about 6 p.m., I got in touch with Gabe, and discovered there was a miscommunication.  He wasn't going to go to the concert.  He had just attended a funeral.  So, I had to make an instant decision:  should I drive to Oakland and attend alone, or not?

I wanted to wash up first, so I took a quick shower.  It was not possible to get to Oakland by showtime, at 7:30 p.m.  Still want to go?  Yes.  So, I jumped in my yellow car and raced off to Oakland.
 

The Fox Theater in Oakland.  I've seen two concerts here in the past:  Kylie Minogue's first North American tour in 2009, and Die Antwoord in 2013.  I remember how Die Antwoord's Ninja decided to crowd surf, but the floor wasn't crowded enough to support him.  The crowd dropped Ninja on the floor and the wave of people nearly threw me off my feet.
I was encouraged by the mob of fans at the door.  What rock band ever starts on time?  I wasn't late after all!  I took my seat in the balcony for the 8:30 p.m. start.

The Fox Theater started as a movie palace in 1928.  It's quite amazing that it was able to survive over the years.  It was refurbished as a concert venue in the 00s.  

Nice sign.  Lots of people, dressed mostly in black.  Ages ranged all over the place, but lots of folks in their fifties.  Goth black seemed the favored style.  Very few masks.  I was the only one with a white mask.

Hmmm.... An old switchboard!

Cool Middle Eastern inspired decoration.

Nosebleed seats not far from the intricate ceiling.

The band surprised me: sort of a psychedelic garage band. Not really 80’s nostalgia. Except for “So Alive,” all the songs were unfamiliar, but plenty of people were singing along, so they have fans. Loved the kaleidoscopic projections!  Apparently the band got back together for this tour, so a rare opportunity for their fans.

Projections!

That ceiling....

Scalloped proscenium.

House left.

House right.

The entrance, where hot dog vendors plied their trade and made bank.

The bladelike sign, at night.

Neon!























Their big hit.

  

 
First time listening to this song. I really like it!

   


The same song, but from Saturday, when they performed in Pasadena.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment