Monday, April 03, 2023

The Last Coal Miners in Spain

Interesting article on the last coal miners in Spain:
Arango said some of the miners feel abandoned. 
“The industrial heritage in Asturias is enormous and of significant historical relevance. However, very little is done to keep it in good condition,” said Adrián San Martín, a 38-year-old miner from Mieres. “When I pass by the closed mines, like the one in Olloniego, and see the rusty tower and the abandoned facilities, I feel terrible.” 
San Martín started working as a miner when he was 24, and he doesn’t know what his future will be when San Nicolás eventually closes. 
“What saddens me the most is not that mining ends,” he told Arango. “I understand that coal pollutes and that we have to look for other energy models. But I am outraged that the mines stop here if coal continues to be imported from other countries, such as South Africa or Colombia, which arrives at the ports of Europe.”

No comments:

Post a Comment