Tuesday, March 29, 2022

A Heart Attack on Broadway




















Today's strangeness was stumbling across an elderly woman apparently having a heart attack. Jasper and I were taking our morning walk. We came across her sitting awkwardly on the curb at Broadway and 25th. "Help me," she pleaded. She was weak, her breath was short, and she seemed to be in discomfort. I called 911, and kept her company. I couldn't tell if she was homeless or otherwise at loose ends. The 911 operator pressed for details, and even asked me to measure her pulse on her neck, but perhaps through error, I couldn't detect a pulse. 

The woman had a defeated air. "I called out for help but no one seemed to notice. No one from around here seems to care," she said. She explained she was originally from Dallas - maybe where people care more. "I'll get my brother to come out and take me home," she said. The paramedics arrived and took her away in an ambulance.

No comments:

Post a Comment