Monday, May 11, 2020

By Bicycle - Several Trips Poking Around the Oak Park Neighborhood

Even though I have lived in the Curtis Park neighborhood for 25 years, the adjacent Oak Park neighborhood across Highway 99 is still a bit of a mystery to me. So here are few forays into Oak Park, with some Curtis Park too.


I need a haircut, but it looks like Norm the Barber won't be back for awhile.


5th Avenue crosses highway 99. Who knew?


University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law. It's funny, I've never been here before, despite the place arising in conversation over the years. Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy's special project.


I took a photo of the Bimbo Bakery sign, and was warned by a security guard not to do so.


Oak Park Market.


Weaving back across Highway 99 on 12th Avenue.


They say about a century ago, the Whiskey Hill area (12th & Franklin) was a really hopping place, full of saloons and bordellos. These days, the most exciting place near the intersection is the CVS Pharmacy. And the restaurant that failed to pass city inspection.


Colorful Taqueria Espinoza.


Broadway Costumes, where I've been a sporadic customer since 1993. I wonder if they still have that absurd collection of Easter Rabbit heads?

I need to head down Franklin Blvd. some time.


Sacramento High School. Attended Kashi's high school graduation here about 1992.


Purple project at 34th & Broadway.


Stopped off for an ice cream scoop at Gunther's. I didn't have a card with me - all they would accept at the socially-distanced door - so, the fellow in the turquoise shirt bought the $4 scoop for me! People are generous these Covid days!


Gunther's Ice Cream Parlor in Curtis Park, an iconic Sacramento landmark.


Nice.


I bet it's a Chihuahua!

In an alley near 37th St. & 3rd Avenue. (I posted this in the "Useless, Unsuccessful, and/or Unpopular Signage" Facebook group, where it seems to be big hit. Someone shared the photo to the new "Ominous, Threatening, And/Or Terrifying Signage" Facebook group.


I could hear squealing tires in the distance. Some idiot drove past with a truck deliberately spewing vast amounts of smoke. Santa Cruz and 11th Avenue.


Transitions.


Better Trade Market.





Martin Luther King Jr. Community Garden.





Back at McGeorge School of Law.

No comments:

Post a Comment