Wednesday, May 02, 2018

"I Can Only Imagine"

As a heathen, I generally avoid the Christian subculture in America, but I did see the J. Michael Finley/Dennis Quaid movie "I Can Only Imagine," which tells the tale of Bart Millard, lead singer of a Christian band named 'Mercy Me.' To my surprise, the movie's actually quite good. The acting is excellent, and the theme of father/son conflict is universal. Plus, excellent cinematography, reflecting lots of capital investment and artistic thought. Even though the song "I Can Only Imagine" is apparently very popular on the Christian side of things, I had never heard of it before, no doubt due to my heathen status. Apparently the band 'Mercy Me' was honored at a recent Presidential dinner, and a clip from the dinner was included in the movie, but they didn't show Trump, which shows good judgement on the moviemakers' part.

No comments:

Post a Comment