Sunday, August 30, 2015

"Mistress America"

I went to go see Sacramento's own Greta Gerwig in her new movie "Mistress America" at the Tower Theater. I liked the movie, and was a bit surprised at its trajectory, with hints of depth. What I especially liked was the early, all-but-random, rapid-fire dialogue at Mamie Claire's 'party' (the scene just after the scene shown in this clip). I prize near-randomness on my blog, with my dog, and in life in general, and for a few minutes this movie is like fractal genius. Filming it must have been difficult and they must have worked months on writing the dialogue.




In Gerwig's 2012 movie, "Frances Ha", she returns to Sacramento. It's funny, I barely remember the Sac scenes in that movie. Someone recently said you could tell it was Sac because you could see the Big Red Rabbit in the airport, but I don't remember the Rabbit, which I suppose makes me a bad Sac booster.

Although the escalator here at 3:03 is a Sac escalator:




I bet I didn't clue in to the Big Red Rabbit because "Frances Ha" was a black-and-white film.

I was wearing my "Burque" T-Shirt, and surprised the popcorn clerk: he's from Santa Clara Pueblo, NM!

Greta Gerwig came through the ranks of Sacramento area community theater before heading off to college at Barnard.

Left: Davis Enterprise Weekend cover from the summer of 1999, featuring the Woodland Opera House's cast of "A Chorus Line". Many of the cast had come from Solano Community College in Fairfield, but others were locals from Sacramento, Davis, or Woodland. Greta Gerwig is in the back row, in powder blue. I'm in the middle, in black. Folks whose names I still recall are: Michael Miiller, Aaron Clemens, Stephen Hatcher, Pam Kay Lourentzos, Jenny Stallard Lillge, Julianne Riordan, Stacey Arriaga, Angela Yee, Kathleen Reilley Dodd, Paul Jones, Pam Benjamin, and Peter Baldridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment