Monday, June 22, 2015

"Evita" Tech Week Finally Ends

This week I relearned the crazy tilt-a-wheel of the rapid Evita costume changes! I did this show in 2000 too and I remember changing clothes next to John Hancock - he played Magaldi - as he hyperventilated "I'm not gonna make it! I'm not gonna make it!" I'm in nearly every scene in Act 1 too, so it was a challenge.

It was easy to make mistakes too. In the "Buenos Aires" dance, for example, we have to maintain our separations. One evening I got too close to one dancer and she punched me right in the face. Nearly lost my glasses. Amusingly, because there are so many other things going on at the same time, she didn't notice. (She apologized later, but it was my fault, since she can't see behind her). Distractions! In shows I often find mysterious bruises that no doubt go unnoticed at the time they're formed because of any number of distractions.

On Wednesday, I ate lunch at the Buckhorn Cafe. Normally I don't eat in such a pricy joint, but I had a Eureka! moment, was pleased with myself and wanted to celebrate. For years here at work we've been trying to puzzle out the mysteries of air pollution in Fairbanks, Alaska, with their cold, cold temperatures and high particulate matter concentrations. Some of the air pollution patterns defy understanding. I noticed a pattern that I don't think anyone else has ever remarked on, with a possible explanation too. Intuitively, I know we finally figured out something important.

But I pushed my luck. On Friday, I returned to the Buckhorn for the same lunch. I got sick that evening during Act 2 of the first performance of "Evita". Had to leave stage for the first time ever, right after "The Money Kept Rollin' In". It was just the start of an excruciating late evening. Lost three pounds of weight overnight. Bad times continued through Saturday, and only started to get better on Sunday. Basically, I did three shows on virtually no food.

So, a brutal weekend, but good camaraderie nonetheless!

No comments:

Post a Comment