Sunday, February 08, 2015

Friday Night Watching TeeVee

They are showing "Gone With The Wind" tonight on TCM. Love the master shots of chaos, the Apocalyptic vision of the Burning of Atlanta, and the florid language:
"Scarlett: [pleads with Rhett as he is about to leave to join the Confederate Army] Oh, Rhett! Please, don't go! You can't leave me! Please! I'll never forgive you!

Rhett Butler: I'm not asking you to forgive me. I'll never understand or forgive myself. And if a bullet gets me, so help me, I'll laugh at myself for being an idiot. There's one thing I do know... and that is that I love you, Scarlett. In spite of you and me and the whole silly world going to pieces around us, I love you. Because we're alike. Bad lots, both of us. Selfish and shrewd. But able to look things in the eyes as we call them by their right names. "
(And don't forget that other fellow just off-screen - General William Tecumseh Sherman - who was one of the few sentiment-free people at the time "able to look things in the eyes as we call them by their right names.")

No comments:

Post a Comment