Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Giorgio Moroder Was The Prophet

I remember the first time I saw discotheques. On Central Avenue in Albuquerque. It must have been 1972, or so. I was no older than fifteen. I asked someone what they did there, and they said it was a bar where people played records and danced, while drinking. Sounded peculiar to me. After all, you could do that in someone's living room, and pay a lot less money.

The first time I remember hearing this song - Spokane World's Fair of 1974, I think - I knew SOMETHING was up with the Zeitgeist:




There was a big-band future for Disco music - an alternative future that ultimately wasn't followed. It's still there, a wilderness mostly unexplored. It's more resource-intensive, but also more collaborative, and in a way, more rewarding. (The economics are deadly - Big Bands are very expensive to operate):




With time, Disco went for electronica and BPM - a more-solitary future. Giorgio Moroder was the Prophet and the Promised Land that Donna Summer showed us with "I Feel Love" was filled with brilliance. His descendants remember - Kylie Minogue in 2000, for example, followed up by Madonna in 2006.

When I saw this - Madonna's Confession Tour rolled into San Jose on May 30, 2006 - I was agog. Costumes by Jean-Paul Gaultier and everything! Moroder is proud, I'm sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment