Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Short Hops With The AR Drone 2.0



I got impatient waiting for the repair kit for Drone 1 to come in. So, on Saturday, I went back to the store and bought a brand-new Drone 2. Which immediately had stability problems of its own. So, I basically had about $850.00 worth of brand-new aerial junk. According to Online Forums, stability can be a problem initially, and can be fixed by allowing the drone a look at the horizon.

This video is pieced together from about five other videos from both Drones 1 & 2, and features short hops, inside and out. Both drones were hard to control on this day, in part, because there was a stiff breeze; in part, because Drone 1 has its patched-together leg to contend with, and in part because Drone 2 seemed to have trouble with basic stability. And, as always, operator incompetence was important.

Outdoor flights were conducted at Davis Musical Theatre Company (DMTC), in Davis, CA, on Sunday afternoon, January 13, 2013, while "Follies" played on-stage inside. Indoor flights were conducted later that evening in the DMTC lobby.

Music is Kylie Minogue's "The One" from her Aphrodite/Les Folies (Live In London) album.


7 comments:

  1. That third cut/shot looks really good! Been interested in getting one of these drones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Parts Guy. Did you G+ this so I'd know you want one? ;)

      Delete
    2. Maybe, why are you going to buy me one now? :)

      Delete
  2. Anonymous3:01 PM

    definitely some control issues. learning curve I hope.
    PeteK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope so too. Repair kit has been shipped, so maybe I can start the process of fixing Drone 1. I was pleased I got Drone 2 to hover outside despite the wind, but it was wonky inside. Probably an inept operator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:47 PM

      Yeah, I got a little nervous about the person sitting in the chair not paying attention. Blind trust I guess until you get smacked up the side of the head...lol
      PeteK

      Delete
    2. Oh, she was paying attention - she just wanted to play it cool. One thing about these drones is, they make some noise. You usually hear them coming. It's hard to do things like eavesdrop with them without people being aware of their presence.

      Delete