Sunday, December 30, 2012

Return Of The Prodigal Laptop

M.: OK, I've been worried about this for a month. Thanks for helping out, but it's all right, I'll do the talking.
J.: OK, the story is, you got it at a yard sale, and you don't know nothin'.

(ding - dong)

D.: Hello?
M.: Is this the D. residence?
D.: Yes.
M.: I'm curious. I recently bought a laptop, and I noticed your name in it. Did you recently sell a laptop, or was one stolen from you?
D.: Yes, one was stolen from me.
M.: Well, I'm uncomfortable holding a stolen laptop.
D.: How did you get this address?
M.: It was in the laptop (duh!) I'll go get it from the car.
D.: Should we call the police?
M.: That's not a good idea. Let me get it....
J.: He got it at a yard sale, etc., etc.

(later)

M.: Here it is.
D.: Thank you. Do you know who sold it to you?
M.: I may know someone who was in the chain by which I bought it, but I don't know who stole it. And, that's it.

(later)

J.: Why did you tell him you might know someone in the chain? That was so strange! You were supposed to say it was bought in a yard sale and that you don't know anyone. And why did you tell him not to call the police? I can't remember exactly how you phrased it, but it sounded really, really creepy! Like a threat!
M.: Sorry. I was thinking about myself. I didn't want to sound like a mafioso or threaten anyone.
J.: Well, you should have apologized about that to him. He was real miserable. I don't think the laptop was the only thing stolen. He was hit real hard. He wants to know about the rest of his things.
M.: Can't help there. It wasn't even clear to me how the fellow I bought it from obtained it. At least it's off my hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment