Sunday, September 16, 2012

Dragonfly

Flying west Saturday evening on I-80 across the Yolo Causeway towards Davis, just before sunset, I regretted that I was a few minutes too early to see all the bats stream out at sunset from under the Causeway. I liked that there seemed to be a lot of dragonflies in the air crossing the freeway, so there was lots of food available for the bats, but I was just two or three minutes too early to see the bats!

Just after parking at DMTC in Davis, I heard a strange sound: a sort of buzzing. I got out of the car and looked around and realized there was something alive trapped just under the car's hood. I popped the hood, and waited with anticipation to see what it might be.

An uninjured dragonfly popped out and took wing, headed towards a more suitable fate in the ecosystem than radiator roadkill.

No comments:

Post a Comment