Sunday, July 29, 2012

Zumba Flashmob At The California State Capitol

It's hard to think of an activity where punctuality is more important than a Flashmob, and I could tell I wasn't going to be on time for this Zumba Flashmob (in honor of Saturday July 28th, National Dance Day). Nevertheless, Zumba is the sort of activity where one can drop in at will, or drop out as necessary, so I went anyway. Like Woody Allen says, 90% of life is just showing up. I rolled up to the west steps of the State Capitol at 9:30 a.m., half an hour after the Flashmob started.


Walking towards the Capitol, I noticed that tourists in the vicinity were shaking to the Zumba music. Encouraging! At the west steps, about 100-120 people were groovin' to the dance.


I never did see the instructional videos. It was a bit hard to follow the dances by instructors from different studios than Step One (where I go), particularly since so many of the instructors were short, and thus hard to see. Nevertheless, 90% of Zumba is just moving around. You have two legs, so you have a 50% chance of being on the right foot. Dance, I say!


Introducing the instructors.


Left: Step One's Sherrika Darnell.

Below: One of my Zumba classmates, enjoying the Capitol ambiance.


No comments:

Post a Comment