Tuesday, June 05, 2012

No Opinion Regarding The King Tide

Andrew lives in that free-floating noƶsphere where globetrotters trot. Still, he worries about the home base:
A better paper on tides and earthquakes……

They are forecasting almost record high tides in the next 24 hours with floods in NZ and Aussie so I hope this doesn’t trigger anything in the Chch fault lines. At least I am in Perth, Western Australia for most of this week……
So, what is this high tide?:
An emergency warning has gone out to coastal residents near Thames to be wary of flooding as the combination of a king tide along with a low pressure front hitting the country is raising tides to abnormal heights.

Waikato Civil Defence Group emergency management officer Greg Ryan said the combination of a king tide, a weather system bringing strong north easterly winds and a storm surge will result in abnormally high tides over the next day.
So, I replied:
I’ve been reading about the subject for the last hour and a half, and the only conclusion I have is – No Opinion.

The subject is interesting. New Zealand is at a tidal node, so the tide constantly marches around the islands (counter-clockwise, I think). But does it matter if it’s a King Tide, or not?

I don’t know.

In any event, it looks like the rain will roll into Perth sometime late on Wednesday. THAT you can prepare for!

No comments:

Post a Comment