Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Leek Mush

I spent a lot of time on my feet this weekend - theater PLUS ballet - so when I headed home Saturday night I wanted something special to eat. What I wanted was French Onion soup, but I knew I had none. Instead, I had an idea.

The vegetable boxes I've been getting delivered from the Capay Valley by Farm Fresh To You every two weeks often feature surprise vegetables, but they also feature a surfeit of vegetables that don't always have an instantaneous appeal to the palate. Like leeks. Lots of leeks. A surfeit of leeks in the Capay Valley.

A leek is kind of like a gigantic green onion on steroids. Why not make a soup out of the leeks spilling out of the refrigerator?

So, some ramen noodles, with a bit of flavoring, a bit of boiled egg, and lots of sliced leeks.

But not enough water, so instead of leek soup it became leek mush.

Apart from the overwhelming flavor of leek, the mush was very bland, and nothing at all like French Onion soup.

Some day I ought to learn how to cook....

No comments:

Post a Comment