Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Fish Pedicures For What Ails You

One nice feature about growing older is that, just because I've been around longer, I'm more likely to be a disease carrier than a disease victim. You have more to fear from me than I have to fear from you.

I really like this British fish pedicure craze, but it's specifically because fish would be ideal to handle my toenail fungus issue. I don't know about the possibility of spreading the fungus to others, though, or having something passed on to me.

But it doesn't matter much to me, because whatever nastiness you are worried about, I probably already have it:
A surge in the number of people getting fish pedicures on the high street has prompted a health warning.

Experts are worried that the latest beauty craze – offered in scores of salons – could spread infection and disease.

It has already been banned in 14 states in the U.S.

The treatment, which costs between £10 and £50, involves customers dunking their feet in tanks to have their dead skin nibbled away by scores of Turkish miniature toothless carp.

But it has been revealed the pedicures using the garra rufa fish could spread infection from person to person through open wounds. Salons say they use UV-lit tanks which are constantly filtered to keep them clear of disease.

But the therapy’s opponents say that unlike usual salon rules, which compel staff to throw away or sanitise tools after each use, the epidermis-eating fish are too expensive to discard.

No comments:

Post a Comment