Monday, January 24, 2011

"Hairspray" - Runaway Stage Productions

Left: "Hairspray" cast final bows.

I like that big can of hair spray there in the background....



(draft)

On Sunday afternoon I decided to set aside back porch painting to another nice day and head on over to see "Hairspray" at RSP instead.

The production left a mixed impression. Some aspects were very good. Jennifer Schmelzer as Velma von Tussle was full of energy - really exciting to watch and hear. The fellow who played Seaweed J. Stubbs was excellent as well (at this instant, I don't have the program with me, so I have to work from memory). Veteran RSP folks were a pleasure to watch as well (Darryl Strohl, Kris Farhood, Amy Jacques-Jones, and particularly Dan Masden as Corny Collins) I worry, though, that the newer, more youthful ensemble members don't quite get the hang of this energy thang, and may not realize they aren't working at 100% of their potential. Part of the difficulty may be that Darryl's choreographic efforts to maintain fidelity to the era, by using the actual dances of the time, may be self-limiting, since those are social dances rather than show dances. Certain dances, though were just fun to watch (Jennifer Schmelzer's side-to-side dance; Celia Green's showcase, and, of course, Seaweed's number).

I'm happy that certain of the young folks are staying around and making RSP their avocation now (Mr. Alvarado?) Little Inez was good.... Monica Wright was excellent as Tracy Turnblad.

Before coming to the show I had heard some criticism of the set; in particular, the odd, iron-shaped block that forms the base of the Turnblad apartment. Nevertheless, I had no trouble with the block - nothing conveyed crowded quarters better than the crowded space on top of the block. The only puzzlemaking part was the TV-on-a-wedge aspect. I'm glad the block wasn't much larger, though, because of the awkwardness of moving a large block on and off the 24th Street Theater stage.

I had also heard through the grapevine that Wilbur Turnblad seemed to be channeling Pee Wee Herman. This was correct. Pee Wee Herman has tons of energy, though, and he's a good role model.

Costumes were fine, particularly Brent Null's final muu-muu. I did have trouble with Penny Pingleton's final dress, however (seemed to be from late 60's).

Towards the end of the show, when Brent Null was onstage, I heard someone behind me ask "is that a guy?" Good that it took so long!

After the show, I saw Lillian, and we talked. Lillian said, "if you mention in your blog we had any trouble with xxxxx, I'll kill you." As local theatergoers know, Lillian has to be taken seriously (did you see her character in "Curtains"?) So, I replied, "don't worry, mum's the word; I won't mention xxxxx at all!" Then, relaxing in a future-looking way that reminded me of the end of the Coen Bros.' "Raising Arizona", we started talking about others matters - in part, what the ideal retirement might look like - perhaps a Goldilocks retirement, not too tropical or polar, neither too hot or too cold. The two of us think quite alike, really: not Fairbanks, or Djibouti; nor Siberia, or Calcutta. Instead, some place - nice! In short, we had a grand visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment