Monday, December 20, 2010

"The Runaways"

Late at night on Sunday, November 28th, when I was quarantined on the Sapphire Princess cruise ship because of intestinal rebellion, I happened to catch another kind of rebellion while changing TV channels: "The Runaways", starring Kristen Stewart as Joan Jett and Dakota Fanning as Cherie Currie. I missed the beginning of the movie, and I missed the end, but decided I had to see more. I mentioned the movie to Ben Wormeli, and he said he had already seen it and liked it.

Finally saw the whole movie. I really liked it too.

I think the reason I find the movie so affecting is that it describes events very-nearly of my generation (the band members have birthdates in the age range of my younger sisters). Plus, certain events placed on film are just intrinsically-interesting (like the innovative heckling training they underwent). Add in good acting and writing and cinematography, and there you are!

Reviews seem to be mixed, but I think many reviewers miss the care that has been devoted to creating the details and atmosphere of the mid-70's. Here's the trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment