Thursday, November 11, 2010

Greyhound Bus Catches Fire

This story reminds me of the good ol', pre 9/11 days.

In 1978, I boarded a Greyhound bus in Philadelphia for a trip to Albuquerque. Somewhere on I-40 in Missouri, one of the passengers realized his wallet was missing, so somewhere in Oklahoma the highway patrol stopped us, and we were all searched.

Since the trip had been partly a camping trip, I was carrying a gallon of camp stove fuel in my luggage. I thought: "Oh, this is going to be awkward!" But they were looking for a wallet, not any obvious hazards to health and safety, so they let me keep the fuel (I still have it, I think....):
Three passengers have been treated for smoke inhalation after a Greyhound bus en route to Dallas from Los Angeles caught fire on a freeway northwest of Tucson.

Northwest Fire Department paramedics say the driver and 37 other passengers aboard the bus escaped injury. They say the three passengers were treated at the scene for minor smoke inhalation and released.

Investigators have determined that the fire was accidental and resulted from a mechanical problem within the engine compartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment