Wednesday, October 27, 2010

"Charlie Wilson's War"



Rainy Sunday, I watched "Charlie Wilson's War", with Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts, on DVD. I was first struck by the deadpan, witty dialogue, which reminded me of *something* else. I remembered the same style of dialogue in "The Social Network". And, of course, Aaron Sorkin wrote the screenplay for both movies! It's impressive what a vivid stamp just one person can make on the movies!

There were many amusing sequences, such as when Wilson juggles a developing ethics scandal while also engaging in a foreign affairs discussion with Gust Avrakotos. Gotta keep these things in compartments!

The movie covers the halcyon days when U.S. involvement in Afghanistan was just starting, and things seemed much simpler. The tone of the movie is practically hagiographic. I don't know whether that's a Bush days hangover, but it bothers me: it's not always "Morning In America".

Despite the 2007 date of the movie, there are only the slightest indirect references to 9/11, and all that came after. I am particularly disappointed that no mention of Osama bin Laden was made. It is likely that there were many, many direct U.S. contacts with bin Laden at this time, and having that highlighted in the cinema would be very useful for educational purposes. For all I know, Wilson may have met with bin Laden. There was a time when we were all on the same side!

So, too simplistic for my tastes, but entertaining nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment