Thursday, July 29, 2010

Playing Tourist In Fanta Se

Today, my two sisters, my brother-in-law, and myself travelled to Santa Fe (The City Different) and played tourist.

First stop was the Veteran's Cemetery, where six relatives and one friend are buried. We paid our respects.

The Veteran's Cemetery is filling up fast, as the WWII Generation quickly slips the bonds of materiality. I wonder what will happen when the place completely fills? I thought of what New Yorkers say about Coney Island: it's so crowded now that no one goes there anymore.

Afterwards, we went to Santa Fe Plaza, cruised the Indian jewelry wares on display at the Palace of the Governors, and ate in the rooftop cafe area at the Coyote Cafe. We yearned to get that 'Santa Fe Look' - we got it by proxy, with all the pretty young people about - and absolutely stuffed ourselves.

Afterwards, we did some shopping, which is de rigeur in Fanta Se, the City Different. Then, we returned to Albuquerque.

In the evening, I realized I had three more 'Breaking Bad' sites to check off my list, so I went on a madcap drive around Albuquerque metropolitan area that took me into lots of new country. First, I stirred suspicions at the South Valley Economic Development Center on Isleta Blvd. in the South Valley, by taking lots of photos of the building exterior for no apparent reason. Then, I travelled down Broadway deep into the South Valley, got caught up in concert traffic heading towards the Pavilion Concert Center on the mesa south of the airport (I don't know the act performing). Then, I drove around Q Studios ('Breaking Bad' HQ), explored Tijeras Arroyo near the drag strip, passed through the area near the ballpark, and passed by the FAA HQ at Paseo del Norte, before returning to my sister's home. I nearly circumnavigated the city, seeing lots of places in the process that I had never seen before.

Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment