Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Bird #95998

Oh, I did not like doing this at all, not with the family watching. It made me a bit nauseous. Still, it's for the best.

When I got back to the house, the Scrub Jay had shifted location in order to be less visible from the alley. Still, a squirrel was harassing the bird. In turn, the Scrub Jay's family was harassing the squirrel.

This afternoon, I bundled the young Scrub Jay into a box and carted him off to the Wildlife Care Association (WCA) at McClellan Air Park.



In 2007, the WCA was housed in an amazing but cluttered little house just off of Auburn Blvd. That house was cluttered with boxes of unhappy birds.

Since April, 2008, the WCA is housed in a Giant Golf Ball. The Waiting Room is clearly separated from the rest of the Golf Ball. I handed the Scrub Jay over to them. They took the bird into the next room and I heard it squawking in surprise and pain as anonymous people on the other side of the door went to work assessing the bird's injuries.

Per the number on the invoice, this bird is now Number 95998.

No comments:

Post a Comment