Monday, March 22, 2010

"Kiss Me, Kate" Closes At DMTC

For the last few performances, and for videotaping purposes, Marguerite did her best to go over-the-top with her solos at the end of Act I.

The last performance was particularly notable for its silliness. When Martin tried to lasso Marguerite as she tried to escape, Martin's whip failed to reach her. She stopped abruptly nonetheless, as she HAD too! Martin then summoned her with a motion of his index finger and said, "Come here, you!" Sheer magnetism of personality sufficed where the whip failed. Silly!

Even sillier was what happened a few seconds later. There is a rapid back-and-forth sequence of lines between Martin and Marguerite, just before the handling the birds. The sequence is the fastest of the show. The correct sequence is:
Petruchio: So, kiss me, Kate.
Katharine: I'll crack your pate.
Petruchio: Oh please don't pout.
Katharine: I'll knock you out.
Petruchio: My priceless prize!
Katharine: I'll black your eyes.
Petruchio: Oh, kiss me quick!
Katharine: Your rump I'll kick.
Apparently what happened was that Martin jumped the line, forcing Marguerite to improvise instantaneously (note: anyone please correct if I've got this wrong):
Petruchio: So, kiss me, Kate.
Katharine: I'll crack your pate.
Petruchio: Oh please don't pout.
Katharine: I'll knock you out.
Petruchio: Oh, kiss me quick!
Katharine: I'll break your dick.
Petruchio: Oh, kiss me quick!
Katharine: Your rump I'll kick.
Hey, it rhymed! It was very hard, however, as part of the ensemble, and knowing how out-of-character it all was for Marguerite, to keep a straight face for the remainder of Act I!



No comments:

Post a Comment