Thursday, November 12, 2009

Learning About My Middle-Aged Body

Say, what's that, down there....?

On the weekend, I became neglectful, and didn't take quite so much of the potassium chloride (KCl, or potash) I've been prescribed. My diuretic blood pressure medication helps strip potassium from the blood; hence the need for extra potassium, in the form of potash.

Generally these medications are pretty benign. After years, I slowly became aware that a certain kind of headache could be associated with insufficient blood pressure medication, but I had never associated any ill effect with lack of potash.

Until Sunday, that is. Sunday afternoon I began feeling all woozy, like I was going to faint. A peculiar headache ensued as well. All Sunday evening, I was in a woozy state, and wondered if I was having a heart issue (low potassium affects the heart most of all). I was alone, at work, and worried that if I fainted, it would be hours before anyone found me.

Then I finally took some potash, and ....Voila! I was back to normal.

It's probably good to know what it feels like to be undermedicated, for future reference....

No comments:

Post a Comment