Wednesday, September 30, 2009

To Say "Cheese" or Not To Say "Cheese" - That Is The Question

So the question has been gnawing at me, can I bring all my new, high-powered, high-tech camera gear to the Oakland and the Las Vegas Kylie shows. I'd very much like to do so, but I also want to respect theater protocol. So, the appropriate thing to do is to ask. So I did.

Nevertheless, there seems to have been confusion even there. The final answer is "NO!" but the final answer came down just minutes ago.

Well, for a blogger this is intolerable. I will go and have nothing to share but my memories. Can life be any crueler than that?

Well, I remember a friend once saying that his worst nightmare was to arrive at a supermarket check-through without enough money to pay for the groceries. Nothing in life could be worse than that!

This camera policy approaches that level of senseless cruelty, but one must appease the diva, and if that is her price, then so be it.

Here are the contents of the E-Mail thread.

First E-Mail:
Dear Fox Theatre:

In regards to the upcoming Kylie Minogue concert (Oct. 1), I wanted some clarification regarding what cameras or recording devices the Fox Theatre will permit: i.e., what is considered a “professional recording device” for Fox Theatre’s purposes?

Would a personal digital voice recorder be OK?

Would a personal digital camera (e.g. a Samsung SL620 or an Olympus FE-240) be OK?

Would a video camcorder (Sony HDR-XR500) be OK?

Thank you for your help,

Marc Valdez
Response:
In general, a digital voice recorder or video camcorder would not be allowed inside the theater. In addition, for the Kylie Minogue shows, the artist has requested that we do not allow any cameras into the theater. Most shows do allow personal digital cameras, but not this time.

Mike
My reply:
Mike

Oh, oh, confusion!

Earlier today in regards to another question I called the theater main number and verbally asked for their camera policy in specific regards to Kylie’s shows. The woman stated that personal digital cameras were OK.

Was Kylie’s request very recent then? Contradictory policy will lead to problems.

Marc
[UPDATE] And the final answer is "NO!"
Hi Marc,

Yes, we just had our final security meeting with the tour personnel. I passed word along to our main office about the policy.

Thanks!

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment