Saturday, August 22, 2009

"No Va" Means "It Doesn't Go"

I went jogging this morning along Second St. NW, reaching only as far as Ranchitos Rd. (Over the last few weeks I lost the altitude conditioning I had managed to gain last month. I sure am in sorry shape these days....)

Returning along Second St., I noticed a car wheeze and cough to a stop in the northbound right lane of the four-lane street. The traffic was fairly light - mid morning Saturday - but still, it was a terribly awkward place to come to rest. It's very much a part of New Mexico automotive tradition: low-income folks push their cars to the mechanical limit, and sometimes the vehicles come to rest in inconvenient places. So, I decided to offer my services to help push the car off the street - also, very much a part of New Mexico automotive tradition.

I stood politely aside as the driver - a fellow about age 25 - paced back and forth behind the stalled car and called several people for help. Cell phones are not a part of New Mexico's automotive tradition, of course - only 20 years old, or so, cell phones are a relatively new way of doing things. I noticed there were stickers in the rear window, and no plates. The driver had just bought this used car! How cruel! Now, mechanical betrayal is DEFINITELY a part of New Mexico automotive tradition!

As it transpired, though, the vehicle had not suffered a mechanical breakdown at all. Instead, the driver had failed to pay sufficient heed to his newly-purchased vehicle's fuel gauge, and the vehicle had simply run out of gas. Heedless driving is more a part of the California automotive tradition. New Mexico often follows the lead of California in many fields.

In the end, my services weren't needed after all. A friend of the driver was responding with alacrity and bringing much needed fuel to the scene. And so I politely excused myself, grateful for the much-needed innovation that cell phones represent in New Mexico's automotive tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment